Friday, January 15, 2016

Chalk Paint Recipe

Why do I use chalk paint?

The reason is simple. Chalk paint does not require prep, sanding or priming of wood furniture. There are some pieces you will find that will still require a bit of sanding. For instance, a piece that had stickers put on it back in the 70's or an item that has previously been painted. Aside from that you shouldn't need to sand or prime most pieces when using chalk paint.

Why do I mix my own?

  1. It is SO much cheaper than the pre-mixed stuff
  2. The color choices are endless 
  3. I can mix up the amount I need at the time of each project
  4. It tends to take less coats of paint compared to using a latex based paint

This being said, I do love me some chalk paint, but I also love using plain ol' latex paint. This, however, requires that you must first prime the item you will be painting. I tend to use this technique when painting an item that will not be distressed simply for the fact that it tends to hold up a bit longer than chalk paint. Over time a bit of wear and tear on a piece that has been chalk painted and distress only adds character. This is not the case on a piece that has been painted a solid coat of paint. Any scratch will stand out a mile away and is nearly impossible to fix once it is there. 

Just as any painted piece, neither technique are indestrustable, but primed and latex paint seems to outlast chalk paint. A chalk paint piece that is maintained will still last a very long time. I often suggest that anyone who owns a chalk piece finished with Minwax should continue to apply a coat of minwax every few months. Just like wood furniture, it needs to be cleaned and protected from time to time. Simply wax on, wax off. 

Before beginning any project I suggest that you determine which paint will work best for the project at hand. If chalk paint is the answer please feel free to use the recipe that I use.

Chalk Paint
1/3 cup Plaster of Paris
1/3 cup Water (room temp)
1 cup Latex Paint 

Mix the plaster of Paris and water in a container. I recommend using a quart size all purpose mixing container which can be found in the paint supply department of your local home improvement store. Make sure to purchase a lid for the container as chalk paint tends to thicken if left exposed and will do so fairly quickly.

Once completely mixed, you can add the latex paint in your choice of color. You will notice that the paint will end slightly thicker than it started. This is exactly the consistency you want!

** I do not recommend that you store and reuse chalk paint. If you begin a piece, make sure that you have enough time to complete it within a few days. 










No comments:

Post a Comment