Friday, January 15, 2016

Simply Serendipity

ser·en·dip·i·ty
ˌserənˈdipədē/
noun

  • The effect by which one accidentally stumbles upon something truly wonderful, especially while looking for something totally unrelated. 
  • The act of finding something valuable or delightful when you are not looking for it.
  • The occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way.

synonyms:(happy) chance, (happy) accident, blessing, fluke



The word serendipity has always had a deep meaning to me. I believe in fate. I believe things do happen for a reason. Whether these things happen by coincidence, perfect timing, or just plain luck, I believe that if you are open to the possibilities that it is possible for serendipitous moments in your life. 

I would find myself stumbling upon pieces of furniture by luck and sometimes by pure accident. Pieces that were once exquisite, that were no longer deemed beautiful or wanted. Each piece held a story and at one time or another meant something to someone. I found myself feeling sorry for these pieces. I wondered where they had come from and who they had belonged to. Oh the stories I bet they could tell if only they speak! I, unlike so many others, could still see the beauty in these pieces. I could see them as they had been many years ago, but more importantly I could see what they could be with a little love and a lot of elbow grease. I truly believe that I stumble up each piece by fate and not by luck or accident.

I began painting and repairing old furniture simply because I enjoyed taking something that was once worthy and making it spectacular again. The process of painting is relaxing to me. Perhaps this love for paint was passed on to me by my late Grandfather. He loved to paint. You name it, he painted it. Houses, furniture, walls and even garage floors. As a child, I remember finding it a bit strange that he seemed to paint the garage floor of every home he lived in but as an adult I now understand. Painting is a release. It soothes and heals. I find that I lose myself in the moment while I paint. All stresses and troubles of the day seems slowly to float out of mind with each stroke of the brush.

I feel a sense of accomplishment every time I complete a project. I put down the brush after the finishing touch, take a step back, and fully admire the finished design. It is almost as if you can see the newly reclaimed piece glowing with gratitude. The satisfaction I feel with each completed project is immense. My hope for each piece is that someone will now view it as worthy and beautiful again. May those who serendipitously cross paths with these new items treasure them as much as I do. 

Please join me on my adventures via this blog as I take what was discarded or broken and make it new again. I will do my best to provide a step by step detailed process per piece. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask and I will do my best to answer!

- Sarah Pasley at Simply Serendipity










No comments:

Post a Comment